Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One Heck of a Weekend...

This past weekend was a little rough. Ella came home from school on Friday with the stomach virus that has been going around the local schools. I immediately quarantined her to try and make sure no one else got it. If you've been reading the blog for a while, you know how badly I want to continue my vomit free streak. Soup and dry toast were on the menu that night. Sheets had to be washed and the quarantine had to be enforced. Thankfully though, no one else go the yucks. Well, that particular yuck.

Hadley had been having some congestion, and I had been debating whether or not she needed to see the pediatrician. Of course, she had no fever until Saturday morning...when the pediatrician's office is closed. So that morning I decided she was going to have to go to the doc in the box. I was dreading it because it always takes hours upon hours to be seen. I got her up and gave her a dose of mucinex to help her feel better and told her to take a shower. She came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and said she was a little itchy, so I gave her a benedryll. She took a shower, and she and I loaded up and went to urgent care. We'd been there a few minutes when she started to swell. A lot. I got concerned and asked if a nurse could look at her. The nurse said to take her to the ER fast. So I did. By the time we got to the ER, Hadley's lips were so swollen that her upper lip was touching her nose, and her eyes were swollen shut. She was covered in hives from head to toe. Luckily, the staff took us straight back, and we were seen within minutes. Poor Hadley is allergic to mucinex and had to have all kinds of shots. It was so pitiful. We were back home within two hours armed with three prescriptions and minus the swelling and hives.

My cell phone was broken during all of this. It had been restarting for no apparent reason, and sometimes out of the blue a Conan O'Brien video would start playing. I think I caught a virus. I could text and tweet, but I could only make or receive phone calls on speakerphone. Yes, I was the crazy lady talking on speakerphone for the whole world to hear...while an obscene Conan skit played in the background. When I called Jay to update him, I just used the hospital phone because it was easier and slightly more discreet. Then I was convinced that I had picked up tuberculosis and diptheria. Needless to say, I bought a new phone after getting Hadley's prescriptions filled.

So, what did you do last weekend? Ha! Still though, a stomach virus and an allergy to mucinex are pretty insignificant things to deal with. I am reminded of that every time I think of Noah Crowe. His parents are faced with the reality that this may be their last Christmas with their little boy. I have no doubt that they would rather have an ER trip for an allergy than have to watch their sweet child have a third brain surgery.